Saturday, December 22, 2007

Drawings bring back sweet memories.....

I love the holidays but was feeling a little blue with Christmas coming and no little ones to share it with....

I have two daughters age 31 and 21 and a son who just turned 19... My baby boy was born on Thanksgiving Day 1988 (his due date by the way) and weighing in at 9 lb 3 oz.... I still haven't lost the "baby weight", guess I'll have to quit using him as my excuse now, LOL!

Anyway, back to the drawings.... I went in my laundry room this morning and there they were, you know the ones that your children did over the years and handed over to you with lots of love and big smiles on their faces... You compliment them on their artwork and hopefully guess correctly what the subject matter is - Oh look this one is daddy (beard and pants on stick figure helps) and this is sister (long girl hair on shorter stick figure) now what/who is this with the "Big hair" umm, oh yes, that is ME! Yes mommie, that is you!! See the hair, now all of them are pointing at my Big hair-giggle giggle (they still laugh about my 80's hair)...

You give their drawing a prominent place on the fridge which pleases your little artist immensely. Then when another of your budding artists hands over their artwork up it goes. Soon the fridge front fills up to the point where you can no longer see the door opening so down comes the old art to make room for the new.

Well there are some of these drawings that were just too precious for me to let go of... those are the ones that somehow found themselves taped on my utility room wall, behind the door and down the wall next to the cabinets.... I have glanced at them many times over the years and always smile at the memories they bring.

Two of those precious drawings are what caught my eye this morning as I was doing the laundry. There is one just above these two that shows a happy home with smiling faces out front that I love but the two that really caught my eye this morning were both from Christmases past. One with folds and creases across it had been a folded note left for Santa one Christmas Eve long ago along with milk and cookies... It reads "We LOVE you Santa" in the most adorable childish sprawl and Santa had written back" LOVE you too!" There was another reading "M E R R Y C H R I S M A S - I LOVE YOU - MOM & DAD - L O V E, W A D E".

There are a others, all just too special for one reason or another, to throw away. I guess what I'm getting around to is that if you are a mom of young children, be sure you hang onto to a few of these drawings. Put them in a place where you will see them through the years. Then one day, when your babies are grown, they will be like a "gift" to you. A gift given over and over again to remind you of when your babies were small and you and your husband were still the center of their world (a space shared only once a year by Santa of course :)

No comments: